September 4 – 10, 2022 is National Suicide Prevention Week. Suicide is a national health problem that currently ranks as the 2nd leading cause of death for ages 10 – 24. Suicide is also one of the leading causes of preventable death in our nation. This race is to help spread awareness in an effort to shed light on this highly taboo and stigmatized topic.
This race benefits the following organizations:
- NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness.
- SAVE (Suicide Awareness Voices of Education) – To prevent suicide through public awareness and education, reduce stigma and serve as a resource to those touched by suicide.
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) – The leading national not-for-profit organization exclusively dedicated to understanding and preventing suicide through research, education and advocacy, and to reaching out to people with mental disorders and those impacted by suicide.
HOW TO COMPLETE YOUR VIRTUAL RUN
- Register for the race and print your bib
- Complete a 5k, 10k or Half Marathon run/walk at your convenience, any time, anywhere between September 4-10, 2022
- Submit your time (optional) to see how you placed overall and receive your finisher certificate.
- Celebrate your accomplishment by sharing on social media! #RunsForAPurpose
- Feel free to join the Virtual Runs for a Purpose Facebook Group to share and celebrate with other participants. Don’t forget to follow our Facebook page too!
HOW TO CREATE A TEAM
- Only 1 person needs to register and create a team name during checkout
- Share the team name so others can join during registration
- When the 3rd person registers, the first 2 will receive a $5 refund and any other participants who join will automatically get the $5 discount at checkout.
- Suicide Awareness Medal
- Printable Race Bib
- Printable Finisher Certificate
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Do I have to track my time / How do I track my time?
No, tracking your time is optional. There are several apps available that you can use to track your time. Here is a list of the top 10 apps.
- Do all team members have to participate together?
No, that is the great part about a virtual race! Each team member can run/walk at their own pace on their own time.
- Do all team members have to do the same distance?
No, each team member can choose to do their own distance.
- Can I split up the distance over several days?
Yes, you can certainly split up your distance over time if needed.
- Do I have to submit my time to get my medal?
No, submitting your time is optional, you will still get your medal regardless. But if you would like to print off your finisher certificate, you will need to submit your time.
- When will I get my medal and/or shirt?
Medals will start to ship right away. Shirts ordered by August 7th will arrive in time for the race. Shirts ordered after August 7th will ship after the race.
- How do I print my bib?
Bibs are provided in digital format. Once you register, you will be automatically assigned a bib number. In your RunSignUp.com account, under “Profile” then “Upcoming Events”, you will see an option to print your bib for this race.